Sunday, August 2, 2009
Aug 3 2009
RS lesson today was a presidency lesson taught by Karen Jensen on education and lifelong learning.
.
Heather was giving a talk in primary, so I got into the lesson late, but I caught this little parable Karen shared, and I loved the idea:
.
Mr. Hilton told about a plain bar of iron being worth about five dollars. But that same iron, if made into horseshoes, would be worth $10.50. If it were made into needles, it would be worth $3,285. And if turned into balance springs for watches, its worth would be over $250,000.
Apparently the value of the raw iron is only what it costs to process it from the hill. Its greater value is determined by what is made of it. People are much the same as iron. You or I can remain nothing more than raw material, or we can be polished to a high degree. Our value is determined by what we make of ourselves.
.
.
Here are a couple of ensign articles Karen used. They are great and worth the read!!
"The Power of Diligent Learning" September 2008 .
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=fe17bf9cd2f0c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
April 2009...."Education was our answer."
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=8c07eafcee340210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
.
Heather was giving a talk in primary, so I got into the lesson late, but I caught this little parable Karen shared, and I loved the idea:
.
Mr. Hilton told about a plain bar of iron being worth about five dollars. But that same iron, if made into horseshoes, would be worth $10.50. If it were made into needles, it would be worth $3,285. And if turned into balance springs for watches, its worth would be over $250,000.
Apparently the value of the raw iron is only what it costs to process it from the hill. Its greater value is determined by what is made of it. People are much the same as iron. You or I can remain nothing more than raw material, or we can be polished to a high degree. Our value is determined by what we make of ourselves.
.
.
Here are a couple of ensign articles Karen used. They are great and worth the read!!
"The Power of Diligent Learning" September 2008 .
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=fe17bf9cd2f0c110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
April 2009...."Education was our answer."
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=8c07eafcee340210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment